Please note this visa requirements are for US citizens only. If you are not a US citizen please contact our office at (914) 592-2760.
US passport must be signed, valid for at least 6 months and with at least 2-3 blank visa pages not amendment pages in passport. If your passport does not meet the requirements, we can assist with obtaining new passport or passport renewal for a valid US passport.
- Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter?
- Yes. As of June 20, 2021, residents of the United States are allowed to enter Germany, unless traveling from a virus-variant area from which entry is banned. The list of virus-variant areas can be found here .
- Persons entering Germany who have spent time in an RKI-designated risk area in the 10 days prior to entry are required to submit a digital registration on entry. As of June 13, 2021, the United States is no longer a designated risk area.
- Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry?
- YES, a negative COVID-19 test is required to enter Germany.
- Both PCR and rapid antigen tests are accepted; a PCR test must have been taken less than 72 hours prior to entry to Germany, a rapid antigen test less than 48 hours prior to entry.
- The test must meet the criteria laid out by RKI, and travelers will not be allowed to board their flights without a negative result.
- The testing requirement is waived for those who are fully vaccinated (15 days after the second shot of a two-dose vaccine or the first shot of a one-dose vaccine) with a vaccine listed here , as well as those who have recovered from COVID-19 in the last 6 months, unless they are entering from virus variant area. Please see further information here.
- Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry?
- YES, potentially including mandatory COVID-19 testing at the airport for certain travelers.
- Valid Signed Passport valid for at least six months from the last day of stay from international destination.
- No visa required traveling for tourism or business for up to 90 days.
JIDS recommends your passport is valid for at least six months from the last day of stay from international destination.
- Passport accepted for entry must be valid for at a minimum of 3 months beyond the last day of intended stay.
- If your passport does not meet the Schengen requirements, you may be refused boarding by the airline at your point of origin or while transferring planes. You could also be denied entry when you arrive in the Schengen area. For this reason, we recommend that your passport have at least six months validity remaining whenever you travel abroad.
JIDS can help you renew it if you need more validity. If you require passport services, please refer to our passport services section.